August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole


I made this once and forgot to post it, so I'll play catch-up. It's one of Dave's favorites. (The picture has half onions on one side....if you're wondering=)


5 ½ cups mashed potatoes
(about 4 lbs. uncooked or 8 servings instant)
½ cup milk (if doing instant, omit and go by pkg. directions,
or if you want it a little less thick)
1 pkg. (8 oz.) reg. or low-fat cream cheese
1 cup reg. or low-fat sour cream
1 ½ tsp. garlic salt, or to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or more if you want)
½ cup cooked and crumbled bacon (about 8 slices)
2 stalks green onions chopped *if desired*

Place first seven ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat on med-high until potatoes are smooth and creamy. Spoon mixture into a 13-in.x9in.x2in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. (I have a microwave bacon cooker which drains the fat, or nuke it in the microwave between paper towels on a plate.) Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Then sprinkle with green onions, if desired.
**(To make it easier on myself, I like to use kitchen shears to cut the bacon in tiny pieces and the green onions. I also prefer using instant potatoes, it's easier, and instead of adding the salt to the instant potatoes, I just substitute garlic salt instead. Sometimes when using instant, I stir everything all together in one pan using a heavy duty spatula, or beaters.)

5 comments:

Jennifer V said...

Yummy. I don't know if they count as a vegetable or not...this isn't exactly the healthiest recipe. But who cares. It is so stinkin' tasty!

Keri said...

I can't wait to make this. If I don't put on the bacon do I have to feel gulty about eating it?

Kathy said...

Yeah, not the healthiest, so no veg. category for this one! Well, I try to use fat-free sour cream, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese, and how found reduced sodium bacon so it isn't as fattening. But, it's a "sometimes" sidedish. Make it once in awhile and you don't have to feel guilty! ;)

Jennifer V said...

Kathy, that reminds me of the song Cookie Monster sings..."Cookies are a sometimes food." haha. Not at our house! :)

Kathy said...

That's where I got it from! Haha! Good song, classic! That's what I tell Kayla, cookies and treats are a "sometimes" food like cookie monster says, but then I feel guilty when I eat treats after she's in bed! Shame on me...