August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Monday, January 19, 2009

Beef Taco Bake

I just made this for dinner tonight and I am already craving it again. I scaled down the original recipe so it would be just the right amount for Paul and I. This is like a real taco from Puerto Vallarta meets enchilada from Cabo meets nachos from Cancun. Okay, so I don't know my authentic mexican flavor histories very well, but I do know these are really awesome taco-enchilada-nachos! You must try them soon! I of course forgot to take a picture, but when I make it again, I'll add one then.

Makes 4

1 (10 oz.) can Ro-Tel tomatoes, juice reserved
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
2 T. hot sauce, or to taste
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 lb. ground beef
3-4 t. taco seasoning
4 taco shells
4 green onions, sliced thin
1 avocado
sour cream
extra taco or hot sauce

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees with oven rack in middle position. Combine half of tomatoes (without juice), most of beans, hot sauce, and cilantro in bowl. Spread evenly in baking dish. (I actually baked mine in a bread pan.) Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
2. cook beef in skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Pour off fat, then stir in taco seasoning, remaining tomatoes and reserved tomato juice. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened and nearly dry, about 5 minutes.
3. Spoon 1 T.+ cheese into each taco shell and top with beef mixture. Arrange tacos standing up in the bean mixture, cover with foil and bake until bubbling, about 10 minutes. Remove foil, top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions.
4. Scoop out onto pasta bowl, top with dollops of sour cream, chopped avocado, and shots of hot sauce. When done with the first one, enjoy the second!

No comments: