August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mashed Potato Candy

When I moved to Idaho to attend college, my friend bought this cookbook for me as a joke. It was especially funny because I didn't know how to cook AT ALL. Wow, how times change. :) This recipe is from the book. If you like Mounds candy bars, you will LOVE these!

1/4 cup hot mashed potatoes
1 tsp. butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
chocolate chips, melted

Mix potato and butter in a bowl; add sugar gradually, working it into potato. Add vanilla, salt and coconut, mixing with hands, if necessary. *Press mixture into a buttered 8x8 inch pan. Spread top with melted chocolate. Chill and cut into bars.

*I followed the directions the first time, but when I make this again, I think I would rather roll them into balls or make them into patties and then dip them in chocolate. It would be a little bit more time consuming, but the bars weren't very pretty. Plus if they were dipped, there would be more chocolate per bite. And I'm ALL about that!

No comments: