August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Monday, April 26, 2010

Kid-friendly ideas

-The kids like egg salad/chicken salad/whatever kind of sammy but use cookie cutter shapes to make the bread "cool". Dinosaur shapes, fish, dog, pretty much anything is fun for them.

-I've found that my kids don't like eating whole, adult-sized burritos, so I take a pizza slicer to a tortilla and make smaller sized ones for them.

-The kid will eat almost anything if it has some fun dip or topping associated with it. I put different toppings in ramekin's and let them put what they want on their food.

-mini quesadillas with broccoli, sweet peppers, etc. in them are usually a hit.

-personal pizzas made on a Skookie pan.

-I sneak ground flax seed in homemade pancakes, bread, etc and the kids don't even notice it's there.

-homemade chicken nuggets. They are good made with crushed Fiber One cereal as the coating. (misplaced my recipe, but it's in the Hungry Girl book.)

-Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges and crackers (Costco has the cheapest price on the cheese)

-hummus with fresh veggies for dipping

-homemade yogurt popsicles

-a really yummy and healthier substiture for sour cream is called Fage ( it's greek yogurt.) Tastes just like sour cream and my kids and hubby eat it like crazy. Works great in any recipe that calls for sour cream or use as a topping. (I buy mine at Costco)

-we've bought Veggie Straws from Costco before. They are chips, taste yummy, and have veggies in them.

 

No comments: