August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Orange Sludge

This recipe is from The Domestic Art (Volume II); these cook books were created by a woman in Utah for her friends and family but they became so popular by word of mouth that she kept on printing and selling them.
I'm planning to bring this to the gathering this weekend.

Orange Sludge

Combine dry in a medium dish:
1 (3 oz.) box vanilla pudding
1 (3 oz.) orange jello
1 (3 oz.) tapioca pudding
Stir in 3 cups boiling water. Mix until smooth. Set in the refrigerator for an hour or two.

Add:
2 cans mandarin oranges, drained
About ½ container whipped topping
Stir and refrigerate several hours.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Would I need to use cooked pudding, or would instant work?

Tessa said...

Instant is fine. The boiling water cooks the tapioca, so you don't have to worry about cooking anything.

Liz said...

Tessa,

I had trouble getting my salad to set. I used instant vanilla pudding and cooked tapioca pudding.

Have you had trouble with yours setting?

Tessa said...

It doesn't have a really firm set, but it usually turns out about like pudding for me. I just use the Jello brand tapioca pudding box.