August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Butternut Squash Pasta

1 T.+ olive oil
1 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. (1/2") cubed, peeled butternut squash
1 T. chopped fresh or 1 t. dried rubbed sage
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground allspice (just equal parts nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, & black pepper)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
2 c. penne pasta, cooked according to box

Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic & red pepper; saute for 3 minutes. Add squash; saute 10-20 minutes or until soft and tender. Stir in sage, nutmeg, allspice, 1/4 t. salt & 1/4 t. pepper and remove from heat. Mix the pasta with the squash/ spice mixture, then add just enough olive oil to lightly dress the pasta.

I mixed the spices with 1 c. half & half, 1 c. ricotta cheese, & 1 t. salt. Then I added that mixture to the pasta. Looking back, I would not add the crushed red pepper. I would put a sweet yellow onion in instead of a white. I would use butter instead of olive oil. I would add 1 T. of brown sugar. I would add parmesan cheese and use fresh sage instead of dried. That would make it. I know, there are a lot of changes there--but hey you don't know what it's going to be like the first time!

1 comment:

Keri said...

I loved this Leslie. I grew up eating butternut squash so this tasted like home!