August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Creamy Tomatoe Fondue Sauce


This is a recipe I got from my good friend, Jessica. She made it for a baby shower and it was so amazing, I had to get the recipe. This recipe is actually for fondue, but I have made a meal of it. I don't have a fondue pot- I just used a small crock pot. Also, I bought my tortellini noodles in the bulk section at Winco. I just boiled them up with a bit of salt and olive oil and they tasted great! (You could probably use any kind of noodle though if you are going to make it a meal.) If I were going to serve it again as a meal over noodles, I think I would add a little bit more liquid to the sauce- maybe apple juice or a bit of cream or milk. It is very rich and this makes a big batch, but it is SO delicous! Hope you try this one out!

Creamy Tomato Sauce (Originally for Fondue)
1 T Olive Oil
1 med Onion, chopped
2 tsp Garlic, minced
1 28oz can Diced Italian Tomatoes with Oregano, Basil and Garlic
1 c. Apple Juice
2 8oz Cream Cheese, cut in 1” cubes
1 c. Monterrey Jack Cheese – shredded (I used mozzarella)

Dip ideas:
French Bread, Cubed Mozzarella, Pepperoni, Tortellini, Green Peppers, Bagel Chips

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onion is very soft. Add the tomatoes, and apple juice. Simmer 10 min, until liquid is almost completely reduced. Add the cheese and heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Pour into a fondue pot, over medium heat.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Keri said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I am so excited to make it. Now I just have to make sure I don't make it ALL the time!

Emily said...

Heaven, I'm in Heaven. This is so great. I am going to make it for dinner tonight!

Porter Family said...

I made this last night with tortellini and chicken and my husband said, "That's freaking fantastic!!!" Believe me, it is high praise coming from him. Awesome recipe.