This is the recipe I made, but I would change some things about it for next time. I wouldn't make it a layer cake, just one big 9X13 pan cake. Cook it and then flip it so praline side is up. And I would frost with something else besides whipped cream, the texture just wasn't right for the cake, I thought. I would try buttercream or a caramel frosting.
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. chopped pecans
1 pkg. Devil's Food cake mix
1 1/4 c. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 3/4 c. whipping cream
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325*. In a saucepan, combine the butter, 1/4 c. whipping cream & brown sugar. Cook over low heat until butter is just melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into two 8" round cake pans. Sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil & eggs at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Carefully spoon batter over the pecan mixture.
3. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from the pans & cool completely.
4. In a small bowl, beat the 1 3/4 c. whipping cream until soft peaks form. Blend in powdered sugar & vanilla extract. Beat until stiff peaks form.
5. To assemble the cake, place one layer on a serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half of eh whipped cream. Top with the second layer. Frost with the remaining whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.