August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Friday, November 7, 2008

Beef Cilantro Lime Soup

I love soups! They are so easy to make and healthy and you can use up whatever is in your fridge. This is a sortof Mexican themed soup that I invented one day to use up some things that I had hanging around. I like to serve soups with fresh bread, grilled cheese sandwiches, or cheese quesadillas.

6 cups beef broth
½-1 lb ground beef or turkey, browned with onions and garlic
2 potatoes, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic
Handful lentils
Handful fresh cilantro
2 t Cumin
1 t Oregano
½ t Pepper
2 T Half and half or sour cream
2 T Lime juice

I didn’t put precise measurements because I don’t usually measure when I make soup, but I tried to estimate. Just simmer it all together for about a half hour and then taste it to adjust seasonings.

No comments: