August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Monday, November 12, 2007

Cheese-stuffed bread ring

This recipe was yummy and quite easy (if I can make it, anyone can).

3 1/2 tsp. white sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 T. active dry yeast
4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 lbs. Muenster cheese, shredded
1 egg white, beaten

Heat milk and margarine over low heat 'til very warm. Combine sugar, salt, yeast and 1 cup flour in a large bowl. Stir in hot milk mixture and beat with mixer on med. speed for 2 minutes.
Add 1 more cup of flour and beat 2 more minutes. Then stir in enough flour (about 2 cups) to make a soft dough. Knead dough for about 10 minutes; cover w/ bowl and let rest 15 min.

Meanwhile, shred cheese and combine w/ 1 egg and 1 yolk. Roll dough into a 24x6 in rectangle. Spoon cheese mixture into a log shape lengthwise along dough. Fold dough over cheese, making a 1 in. overlap; pinch seam to seal. In a greased 9 in. round pan place roll, seam side down, to make a ring. Overlap ends; pinch and seal. Cover with a towel and let rest 10 min. Brush with egg white and bake at 350 for 50-60 min. or until it sounds hollow when tapped w/ finger.
Remove bread from pan immediately. Cool 15 min. before slicing into wedges.
Great with marinara sauce!

Tip: I placed the round cake pan on a cookie sheet incase some cheese spilled out - which a little
did. Also, it seemed like I had WAY too much cheese, so I didn't use it all - but I should
have. I definitly thought it needed more cheese once the dough fluffed up.

1 comment:

fivecutekids said...

I love this recipe! I usually put more cheese, it does bake down in the baking process. If you are short on time, use frozen bread dough. I love Rhodes frozen bread dough.:) Thanks.