August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Friday, April 25, 2008

St. Louis style Philly cheesesteaks

Here is one of the many favorites my husband has. I'll try to post the rest of them later when I don't have an 18 month-old crawling all over me.

1 package thinly sliced breakfast steak (or any steak, just cut it really thin--I like the breakfast steak because it is already thinly sliced.) I now have my butcher slice about one pound of ribeye thin enough that you can pretty much see through it. It only takes about 45 seconds on each side to get a fantastic sear that way.
1 yellow onion
garlic cloves
baguette, sliced in half longways
ranch dressing
monterey jack cheese slices

Preheat oven to 375F

In a big skillet, season the steak with salt, pepper, and minced garlic (quantity is up to you and how long you want your breath to smell like garlic. I usually use 2 cloves.)
Sear with about a Tbsp of olive oil. Once it is seared on both sides, remove from pan to a cutting board and let it rest.

In the same skillet, add sliced onions and cook until golden.

Slice meat into small strips, and add back to the skillet.

Place bread on cookie sheet and spread ranch dressing on the bread, then top with cheese. Bake in oven until cheese bubbles.

Remove from oven. Add meat and onion mixture and top with bread. Slice and serve warm.

*My friend and I made this up one day when our husbands were watching football and we didn't want to leave to get them Quiznos. They ended up liking these way better, and it only ends up costing about 2.50 per person to eat. You can add bell pepper if you want. Our husbands just don't like it that way.

No comments: