August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Monday, June 30, 2008

Gingham Salad

I'll post a picture later. I forgot to take one when I made this last week. And I probably shouldn't take credit for this recipe because I got it at the same time that Kathy did from Heather's mom who copied it for us out of the Hayden Lake Country Club cook book. And some of you already have it because even though we didn't make it and bring it to the salad recipe night (because it wasn't berry season), Kathy and I did pass out the recipe. I hope no one cares that I'm posting it, because it is definitely worth sharing!

This dressing recipe makes a TON so you might want to half it, or plan on saving some for later.

2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp dry mustard
¼ c. poppy seeds
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
½ small yellow onion, pureed
¾ c. cider vinegar
¼ c. Balsamic vinegar

2 2/3 c. salad oil

Put all ingredients in a blender and mix on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes.

Toss with:
Mixed salad greens
Sliced strawberries
Bleu cheese crumbles

Top with:
Mandarin oranges
Toasted almond slivers
Fresh seasonal berries (raspberries, blackberries, huckleberries and/or blueberries)

For a Main Dish salad, add grilled chicken strips.

3 comments:

Damon said...

Hi Kirsten. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe. I tried it tonight as I'm practicing for a progressive dinner later this week. One thing I noticed is that the salad dressing begins to congeal very quickly, especially if its been blended too much. Does this salad dressing have a fridge life or does it need to be made fresh?

{Damon}

Porter Family said...

It has a fridge life of at least 2 weeks (the acidity in the vinegar) but doesn't last that long around our house. It will start to separate a bit with the sugar, but whisk it together and it is good to go again. Hope the dinner went well! What else did you make?
Heather

Damon said...

Well the salad was the only thing I had to make. And it was a great success! I made several half recipes because that was the only way I could blend the thing properly! I tried storing it in the fridge and at room temp but the dressing turned rock hard :(