August: Potlucks!

August Theme: Potlucks. What do you take with you?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hidden Veggies Pasta Sauce (My favorite thing to do with garden veggies)

Cut up all manner of vegetables (carrots, celery, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, garlic and any vegetable you want to hide from you children) Sauté them in olive oil and butter. Add a large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 can or 2 of tomato sauce, 1 cube beef bullion, salt, pepper, dried basil, parsley, butter, and a touch of thyme. NO OREGANO (in Italy it is only used for pizza). If you want a meat sauce, brown mild Italian sausage and ground beef. Mix all together and simmer all day long. Sometimes I puree it to keep the veggies unrecognizable.

Serve on pasta with cheese. (I also love to make a basic white sauce to spoon on top . . . just a little creamy-ness)

Pasta Cooking Hints: Do not cook pasta with oil in the water or sauce will not stick. Do not drain all the water, or it will be too dry. Reheat pasta by running hot water over it in a colander.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really good. I will have to try it. I have been looking for a good sauce to use on spaghetti or something.

Jennifer V said...

Oh, Kirsten, this recipe sounds AWESOME! YUM! I love sauce with lots of vegetables. I'll have to try this one!