This is one of my summertime favorites. It's pretty rich, and of course not very healthy, but is SO good with fresh strawberries which makes it perfect for summer time. This recipe is a family favorite that came from my great-grandma Nona. (She made it when Vanilla Wafers were 25 cents a box!)
1 box Vanilla Wafers
1/2 cup butter (NOT margarine) softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups strawberries (you can use other fruit such as peaches, just maker sure they are drained well)
1-2 tbsp. sugar
1 cup unsweetened whipping cream
1. Clean and cut strawberries in halves. Toss with 1-2 tbsp. sugar, then drain.
2. With a rolling pin, roll wafers in a plastic bag to make crumbs. (you may want to double bag it if the bag you are using is kind of thin)
3. Cream butter, add sugar and mix together. Then beat in eggs.
4. Put 1/2 of wafers in the bottom of 9 X 13 inch dish.
5. Drop butter mixture by tsp. (fairly close together, but cover the entire dish) onto crumbs.
6. Put drained strawberries on top of butter mixture (push the strawberries in to spread out the butter mixture)
7. Whip whipping cream and add on top of strawberries.
8. Top with remaining wafer crumbs.
9. Refridgerate 8 hours or overnight.
***eggs are not cooked, so use from a reliable source***